8 Followers
2 Following
shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Avid reader reading a mixture of crime fiction, chick lit, young adult, autobiographies and true crime. Looking to follow readers who actively read and review books I enjoy to read.

Untitled Jacqui Rose 1 Pb

Dishonour - Jacqui Rose Another absolutely fantastic book from Jacqui Rose. Fans of Martina Cole, Kimberley Chambers and Jessie Keane who are yet to read one of Jacqui's books need to do so ASAP! Admittedly the blurb for this book didn't sound as exciting to me as her previous books but once I started I couldn't put it down and was gripped!

Laila is taken to Pakistan by her uncle after bringing shame on the family by falling in love with an English boy. The way he uncle treated Laila was nothing short of despicable, the story was even worse as things like this happen to women like Laila every day of the week. You could really feel Laila's anguish and pain when she was being dragged out of the country by her uncle and unwilling brother. The scenes in Pakistan especially had me on the edge of my seat.

Ray Ray is the English boy Laila has fallen in love with and he is the son of London gangster Freddie Thompson who is serving a life sentence but has other ideas... Tasha is Ray Ray's mother and she also plays quite a big part in the book. Throw in a psychotic man named Arnold and you have one hell of a read, and then some. I did feel the book ended rather abruptly though, around 92% on Kindle with the remaining 8% a preview of her next book. I feel like the book could've been longer.

What I enjoyed most about the book was all the little twists and turns and how most of the characters were all linked to each other as the book went on. You really root for Laila as she tries to make her way in the world she is being forced to live in. Most of the book was set in Pakistan and Bradford, whereas Jacqui's books are usually set in London. Rest assured though that Jacqui returns the characters to Soho near the end of the book and there was I think just the one mention of a previous character who Jacqui fans will be familiar with by now.

Fans of Martina, Jessie and Kimberley buy this book now!