shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

The Family - Kay Brellend Another fantastic read from Kay Brellend. I thought that this book would be a continuation of the Keiver family from The Street and it was in a way but the bulk of the story was about Jimmy Wild, a character the Keiver's believed to be dead and the family he brought with him from Kent. Edie and her daughter and two sons. Also featured are Rob and Steven Wild who are Jimmy's son and were also in the first book.

In this book Tilly, who was the matriarch in the first book also makes a few appearances as do her family members. Annoyingly though the author keeps on switching between Tilly and Matilda as the character's name. It's not confusing as you know who she's talking about but I just wish she would've settled on one name. I was a bit apprehensive at first having enjoyed reading about the characters in The Street but after just a few pages I was hooked on the story of Jimmy Wild and the new characters that Brellend introduced. Note however that I would reccommend reading book one before this. This could be read as a standalone as it gives a bit of background to the characters' stories however the first book was fantastic and shouldn't be missed.

Jimmy Wild was an absolute scumbag. In the first book he was bad but in this one he was just despicable. My blood was boiling reading about him, and even though it is fiction, the first book was based on Brellend's families recollection of Campbell Road, the worst street in North London, and characters like this must have existed back then.

I really liked the character of Faye and was really rooting for her to escape from 'The Bunk' and make a better life for herself and her family. There was a heartbreaking scene near the end of the book which further cemented my hate for Jimmy Wild. I have read about many characters in the past who have been awful but Jimmy has to be one of the worst. He has no feelings for anybody but himself and doesn't have a single redeeming feature.

Overall another fantastic book. Again I am a bit apprehensive about the next book as it moves on again to another set of characters, still related to the ones from these two books but hopefully it will prove to be as good as these two books have been. Kay Brellend doesn't hold back and paints a very vivid picture of what life was like for people living on Campbell Road. So these books can be horrible to read in parts but they also contain wonderful friendships and relationships of people trying to make the most of what they've got rather than feeling sorry for themselves and simply accepting their lot.