shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Trapped - Jacqui Rose I wanted to give this book five stars however in the end I was left feeling that it could have been better. The whole story just felt a bit rushed. Maggie and Johnny are lovers from two rival families but we start the book with Maggie being released from prison and being reunited with her and Johnny's child. The other characters are the two families and various other characters related to the two families in different ways.

I felt that this book would have been better either as two books or as a trilogy. Or even just a longer book written in a Martina Cole style type book, where for example it would have started off with Frankie and Max - the two rivals - when they were younger, meeting their wives, having their kids and then reading about Johnny and Maggie growing up as kids. With the book starting at the point it did I just didn't care about the characters as much as I might of done had there been a bit more of a build up or more of a background about them. There were some flashbacks throughout the book but not enough to draw me into the story or for me to care about the characters like I otherwise would.

That isn't to say this is a bad book. It was a very enjoyable read and one that I reccommend to fans of Martina Cole, Kimberley Chambers and Jessie Keane. I just personally felt it could have been better. I read Jacqui's first novel last year and that was fantastic. This book featured mentions and appearances from characters from the first book and this was a good feature I think as it was good continuity in the world Jacqui has created within Soho.

The characters I felt were written very well, I enjoyed reading about them. I did think there was a bit too much writing however and not much dialogue, and perhaps an overuse on the Cockney rhyming slang as well. I don't know how many Cockneys actually use such sayings in their everyday speech nowadays. The book certainly picked up halfway through and I couldn't finish it quick enough.

Overall as I said I feel this book would have been better had it been longer or perhaps split up into multiple books however it was a fantastic read and one that I definitely reccommend.