shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Glory in Death (In Death, #2) - J.D. Robb I asked myself in my review of Naked In Death why I had left it so long to read these books, I am now asking that question again! I have a feeling Eve and Roarke are about to take up a lot of my time. I have looked at synopses and reviews of future books and it seems that each book in this series is highly rated by fans, the only bad reviews I have read are from the usual nit pickers. I can't wait to continue with it.

I mentioned in my review of Naked In Death that Roarke reminded me of a certain other famous fictional character from The Worst Book(s) Ever Written but I didn't get that here. Instead I have another image of Roarke in my head. And Eve Dallas is a fantastic character. As a character she is fantastic and I love learning more about her and what makes her who she is but she's also great as a police officer. I like that she isn't afraid to ask the questions that others might be. I also like the fact that she doesn't just drop everything for Roarke (in the first half of the book anyway!). She reminds me of James Patterson's Lindsay Boxer from the Women's Murder Club series.

The futuristic element also works incredibly well and actually prevents this book from feeling 'dated' like any other crime novel from the 90s would feel if it was read in 2013. I can't wait to find out how the technology advances in future novels given that the technological advancements in the 2000s could have helped Robb further advance Eve's world in the future. If it does that is.

The storyline in this book had me guessing and other reviews complained about the lack of romance and too much time being spent on Eve questioning suspects but my primary reason for being drawn to these books was the mystery element, the romance part of it is secondary to me however I know it plays a huge part in the novel(s) and considering the author is Nora Roberts it is also to be expected. However it isn't too romancy at this point and I wonder whether the balance between mystery and romance can remain equal in future novels.

Overall I am crazy not to have started this book sooner but it is absolutely incredible that there are about 40 or more books (if novellas are included) to read in the series with more coming out in the future. I can't wait to read them.