shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way - Richard Branson I have to say that this is one of the best autobiographies I have ever read. I've read a lot, and a lot of them have been 'celebrity' ones, some by people that probably don't have much of a story to tell when they are so young. And also all of Katie Price's memoirs but this book is an actual life story and deserves to be titled an autobiography. It's a mammoth read and I actually started reading it in paperback well over a year ago but only finished it this week on Kindle. But it was easy to pick up from where I left off.

Like Alan Sugar's autobiography this is full of detail and talks about every single aspect of Richard's life and then the formation of Virgin and how it became the mega company (or companies) it is today. I've always liked Richard and the Virgin brand but never really took an interest in the media side of it, e.g. the battles with British Airways etc but then at the time all that was going on I was a child playing out in the street so I wouldn't have taken any interest at the time. But I love travelling on Virgin trains and hope Richard manages to win back the London-Liverpool route as I would actually boycott the company that may eventually run the route and double my journey time by travelling my coach. This is because I enjoy travelling with Virgin Trains and have built up a relationship with them due to excellent service, one of the things Richard prides himself on.

Many of the stories in this book were new to me, and I was shocked at some of the stories within. Even if you know what went on it's still good to get the story from Richard's POV and even though he has his critics I still think he's an amazing man who has built up a fantastic brand. Some parts of the book did seem a bit forced down your throat because of his interests and some of the things he believes in but at the end of the day it's his book and he can choose what he puts into it. But overall it was a fantastic, insightful read which anyone with an interest in business, Virgin and Richard himself would be crazy not to read.