shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Dead Scared  - S.J. Bolton Bit confused about this one. I recently read the first book by Bolton featuring Lacey Flint. I thought she was a fantastic multilayered character who I really enjoyed reading about. And so I started this second book in the series full of anticipation of what I assumed would be another fantastic read. And for the first 100 pages or so it was a good read but after that I just got bored.

That isn't to say that the book isn't good, you only have to look at the other reviews to know that, but my personal opinion is just that it wasn't as good as the first book. The storyline was great, the writing was great but the characterisation and the flow of the book just didn't grab me. The 'random' paragraphs I mentioned were back in this book, the paragraphs which are in italics and confuse the story, I just skipped them because they just don't add anything for me.

Also this is the second book where we are treated to the tension between Lacey and Joesbury and to be honest it was just boring the whole will they won't they story. It just got to the point where it was just do something or stop trying to build up the tension. Surely by the second book something would have happened by now.

I don't know, I have had a rubbish start to the year reading wise. I usually devour books but I just can't be bothered recently. Crime fiction especially is a hard genre to enjoy as there are so many books to choose from but so many of them are just predictable that you can read them like a book (excuse the pun). The premise for this book was one of the more believable premises (despite the OTT suicides) but I just 'liked' it, not 'really liked it' and Goodreads rating system therefore means I can only give it three stars.