shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

The Business - Martina Cole Did Martina Cole write this book? Her earlier work is fantastic, the only two authors who can even compare with early Martina are Kimberley Chambers and Jessie Keane. Martina's early books are in a league of their own. Full of fantastic characters, detailed histories of each of them and some fantastic dialogue. But unlike Kimberley and Jessie, Martina's books seem to get progressively worse rather than better and her fans keep reading her new books in the hope that some of the old Martina magic may shine through. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

A few years ago I would be unable to not finish a book no matter how bad it was. But I realised just how many books there are in the world and that if one of them is bad I should not put it down and move on to the next one. I did read the reviews for this book and was shocked, I found myself thinking 'surely the book isn't that bad so when I saw it in the library I decided to give it a go. Funnily enough the folded down page corners (an idiot's bookmark) seemed to stop less than halfway through the book so perhaps previous borrowers gave up also.

There just wasn't much of a story and not much dialogue. It is just paragraph after paragraph of words. Characters hardly ever speak. I read this book after The Faithless, which was published after this book. In that book there is a mother who treated her two children abysmally, this book is just exactly the same as that one only with different characters. That's partly the reason why I gave up with it, the similarities with The Faithless were just ridiculous. There was even a nice grandmother looking out for the two hard done by children. One of whom was insanely well developed for a two year old and another feared by gangsters at 14. Come on now...

And my biggest hate with this book, and with The Faithless is the way Martina starts every other sentence with 'That'!!!!!! Aghhhhh it frustrates me so much I wanted to throw the book out the window. For example she will say 'That so and so was feared was a given', 'That so and so forgot he owed me money was a liberty'. I cannot remember any of her earlier work being this lazy or any of her writing styles becoming so repetitive that they led me to want to destroy the book.

I am massively disappointed that this book is so poor and I cannot reccommend it to anybody. Not when there are authors like Kimberley Chambers and Jessie Keane churning out five star unputdownable reads. I did plan to read every single Cole novel, however once I've finished her earlier work that just leaves the likes of Faces, The Know and Hard Girls etc and after reading the reviews of them I can't say that fills me with anything other than dread.