shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Naked in Death (In Death, #1) - J.D. Robb I am going to start this review by asking myself why the hell I have never read this book sooner. I remember seeing these books on Fantastic Fiction and seeing how many In Death books were released each year and thinking of another author who releases tons of books each year and assuming that they wouldn't be very good reads. How wrong I was. This book was probably one of the best crime novels I have ever read, and I have read hundreds. The writing was superb, the characterisation even better and the storyline had me gripped up until the end.

Another thing I didn't know about this series was that it was set in the future. This book was published in 1995 but it doesn't feel dated, it reads like it could be a fiction book written in 2013. And the futuristic element isn't unbelievable either, there isn't anything Robb has 'created' that you couldn't imagine being possible. And some things actually work out for the better. I won't list them but they are fun to discover and read about. I think that is another thing that makes this book better than other crime novels, it is inventive and doesn't just go through the motions like other crime novels set in the present day. I think that is why I can often become bored with crime fiction, the feeling that it can sometimes be repetitive. This felt new and fresh to me, and for a book written when I was only five years old that can only be a good thing. I cannot wait to devour the rest of the series.

However I know that this isn't strictly a 'crime fiction' book and as it is written by Nora Roberts, it does feature romance quite heavily. I feel that this might put some people off, particularly male readers perhaps. I couldn't help but compare Roarke with Christian Grey (vomit) however Roarke was a much, much better character than Grey. There are things similar between these two characters, the fact that Roarke seemed to be quite possessive over Eve however it wasn't in the way that Christian likes to control Ana and Eve actually has a backbone and something about her and isn't pathetic. It was annoying for me to think about The Worst Book Ever Written whilst reading this book however the similarities end there and this fantastically written book had me gripped over the course of the last day and I read it extremely fast.

The best thing about arriving late to the party so to speak is having the rest of the books in the series already published and waiting to be read. I think Eve is a fantastic creation and I can't wait to read more of her and Roarke. The futuristic setting is great and I wonder whether with this book being written in 1995, the technological advancements in our present day will be reflected in Eve's present day. After all in 1995 much of Robb's ideas and creations would have come from her imagination, it would be easier for somebody in today's world to write a book set in the future when you consider the lack of technology back in 1995. Overall one of the best first book in a series I have ever read and I am ridiculously excited to continue with the series.