shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Dexter by Design - Jeff Lindsay I read the first Dexter book a few years ago around about the same time that I began watching the TV show. I enjoyed the book more by being able to picture Michael C Hall who is an incredible actor. I enjoy his performance as Dexter probably more than any other character on TV. But aside from that the first book was excellent, I also enjoyed the second book. Then came the third book which I started, put down and didn't finish until last night - nearly three years later. I just couldn't get into it and all the reviews said how different it was from the show. So I read it a few days ago and thought it wasn't bad. I then read this, book #4 within 24 hours. And it was probably the best Dexter book so far.

The writing was superb and I love Dexter. The book has the right mixture of comedy, death and mystery all told through the character of Dexter. There really is some very clever dialogue in these books and it just makes the book a joy to read, and very hard to put down. I also liked the other characters a lot more in this book however I am still unsure about how I feel about Cody and Astor being like Dexter, that storyline just seems a bit farfetched to me. Also Dexter doesn't seem to kill as much in the books as in the TV show, usually in the show he has a few bad guys to kill alongside the main story. However he did have his hands full a bit in this book. Some fantastic appearances from Sergeant Doakes as well who I always feel left too soon in the TV show. Much like LaGuerta in the books, I wish she was still around because the TV show version of her is fantastic.

Overall this was probably the best book in the series so far and I can't wait to continue with the series. I am currently watching the TV show on Netflix which probably makes me enjoy this book more however I don't think people need to be a fan of the TV show to enjoy this book, in fact it seems fans of the books don't really like the TV show and vice versa.