shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Meet Me at the Cupcake Café - Jenny Colgan Sometimes I finish a book and the first question I ask myself is why didn't I read this sooner? This is one of those books. An absolutely fantastic book which has been on my to read list ever since its release but one that I have never got round to reading. I have never read a Jenny Colgan book before so didn't know what to expect, I found the book to be a very enjoyable read which unusually for chick lit, wasn't just written following the main character but also let us see things from the point of view of other characters. I don't know whether I would've liked this book to be written in the first person as I felt like I knew Issy despite the book not being written from her POV.

I found the recipes to be a nice touch and whilst I loved cooking in school (I was the only male in the class) I haven't tried any of them but some of them did sound delicious. The whole cafe did in fact and I would love to waste a morning in there reading books and eating cake. The area just sounded so cosy and homely, this nice little cafe tucked away in the middle of a busy city. The cast of characters were fantastic as well, especially Helena and Pearl. Of course this wouldn't be chick lit without the obnoxious boyfriend alongside the nice, plain man who the main character is obviously going to end up with. The bad guy here being Graeme and the man waiting in the wings being Austin. That's the thing with chick lit, it's easy reading but more often than not the reading is too easy and you find yourself knowing how the book will pan out whilst reading it. It's still a very enjoyable read too.

The scenes with Issy's grandfather are heartbreaking. There are some lovely scenes between the two of them however and the recipes he sends to Issy are quite funny the way they are written. Issy is a fantastic character and one I loved reading about. The start of the book was a bit slow going, and predictable as the reader knows the cafe is going to be a roaring success so it was just a bit like 'get on with it' for the first hundred or so pages. And there is lots of comedy in this book which is what you want with a chick lit read, plenty of LOL moments and also moments which would totally not happen in real life but which again are par for the course with chick lit. I always say fiction can push the boundaries of realism especially in written form.

Overall a fantastic, enjoyable sugar filled read which I reccommend to everybody, especially fans of Sophie Kinsella. I bought Colgan's latest book (even though I don't like Paris) and the Rosie Hopkin's one I just don't know whether to read the Cupcake Cafe Christmas book now or wait till nearer Christmas! However I really want to catch up with Issy again so I can't see myself waiting that long to read it! Also having looked at Jenny Colgan's other books there are a few on there I will definitely be reading.