shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

The Love Killers - Jackie Collins Ordinarily a four star book but Goodreads says 4 stars is 'really liked it' and I just 'liked' this book. Jackie Collins is my favourite author, I have yet to find a book which beats 'Chances'. I remember the first time I read it, and every time I have read it since then was just as enjoyable as the first. Her Lucky Santangelo books are fantastic, American Star is also one of my favourite ever books. However her earlier work isn't very good in my opinion.

What I love most about her books is the history contained within them and the multiple stories, her books feel very real and you can't help but be sucked into the story and feel a part of it. That wasn't the case here, it didn't feel very realistic and the story was very rushed. It was a short read with a large font and bigger than normal line spacing so the 300 or so pages flew by in no time and I have seen alternate versions of this book with much less pages than the version I read.

The annoying thing is the premise for the story is fantastic. Three women team up to avenge the death of a loved one by destroying the life of the mob boss who ordered the hit by 'destroying' his sons. The middle part of the book was enjoyable, it was fun reading about these women (who of course had everything and were amazing) taking down the men (who were criticised and put down as only Jackie can). However it all felt a bit rushed and it was over before you knew it. Also a lot of the characters had the same name as characters in future books which was annoying, especially as some of them are major players in future books.

Overall this book had the promise to be good but was let down by being too short and not having enough of a story. Usually Jackie verges on telling too much of a story which I think is a good thing but here it was just lacking. One thing I did think however was that the book didn't feel aged or dated. For a book written in 1974 to feel relevant and not outdated in 2013 is not that common. I would reccommend this book however I would urge new readers to check out Chances, American Star, Thrill! or any of Jackie's later work. I just feel that her earlier books could put readers off reading what I consider to be some of the most enjoyable books I have ever read.