shaunok

ShaunOK 'Book Addict'

Hard Evidence - Mark Pearson I Googled Mark Pearson a few years ago when I read James Patterson's Private London and he remained on my to read list until a few days ago when I decided to read Hard Evidence. I'm so glad that I did. I love crime fiction, it is the genre that I have read the most over the years but in particular I love crime fiction set in London. The problem however is that some authors set their book in London but end up writing a book that could be taking place anywhere in the UK because of the lack of description and/or mention of places. I like London to be as much of a character as a books actual characters and I'm glad to say that in this book London was a character.

Mark Pearson is/was a scriptwriter and that was very evident whilst reading this book, particularly as he wrote for The Bill and at times this book was like an episode of The Bill, albeit an exaggerated one as up until the last few chapters of the book it felt very realistic and authentic. Delaney was a great character. As always it is the characters that refuse to play by the book that make the best characters and Delaney is certainly a character that plays by his own rules and nobody elses.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. In terms of location it was probably one of the best London based crime stories I have read. In terms of character Delaney has a lot of potential and I can't wait to read more about him and in terms of story I was kept guessing until the end and it was an enjoyable read. Unfortunately it appears that Pearson's latest book has had its publication abandoned but I can't seem to find out why. There are still three more books to read following this one but I am a bit disappointed that that seems to be it because Pearson is a fantastic writer and storyteller going only by this book.